The time has come to finally read these books.
I have seen a lot of people do these lists (for example, Rachel @ Pace, Amore, Libri did an amazing one), and I decided I need to compile a list of my own. I did not do this in previous reading years, so I think it’s gonna be a fun new thing to do yearly. Anyways, these books have been put off for so long, it’s only time I get to them finally. I made a list of 12, just so I can do one a month so we keep it sensible. Here are 12 books I must read in 2019:
- The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller – I’ve had this book for ages, and I have zero explanations as to why it’s still unread. Plus, all my friends love it and recommend it all the time, so this one has to be read finally so I can cry about it.
- The Secret History by Donna Tartt – It’s a book about evil pretentious college students. It’s basically my whole aesthetic. I want and need to love this book so bad. It sounds like the perfect pick for me.
- Uprooted by Naomi Novik – Dark fairytale setting! A sort of Beauty and the Beast vibe! It’s supposedly amazing and everyone loves it so it’s only logical for me to have the same experience.
- Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie – I really love and respect Adichie and I loved some of her non-fiction writing, so I think it will be the same with this one. I think Americanah is going to be awesome, and it focuses on a relationship so it’s basically a given that I’ll be obsessed.
- The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood – This one is a classic and I really want to be able to talk about it and have it read. I watched the first couple of episodes of the TV show and I did really enjoy them, so I hope I have the same experience with the book
- My Brilliant Friend by Elena Ferrante – This series has a female friendship at its center and everyone is obsessed with and I know I will be too. I just have to read it.
- The Vegetarian by Han Kang – I really need to see what the fuss is about with this one. I have no idea if it will be my kind of book, but I have high hopes.
- This Savage Song by Victoria Schwab – I wasn’t obsessed with Vicious but I love the premise of this story, with bad deeds making monsters out of people. Sounds so good.
- Three Dark Crowns by Kendare Blake – Sisters with powers fight for the throne. It sounds dark and epic and I need it in my life.
- The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin – This book was handpicked for me by a book subscription based on my reading tastes, so that means I will love it and I need it.
- The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner – This is one of the most popular YA Fantasy series and it comes recommended by some epic people, like Susan Dennard, so I should have read it by now.
- Jade City by Fonda Lee – An Urban Fantasy with djinn! I am already obsessed and I should have read it AGES ago.
And that’s my 2019 backlist TBR! I will be picking one of these at random in the beginning of each month and I am going to need you all to hold me accountable to read these! I am really excited to get to them.
Let me know if you have read any of these and what were your thoughts and feelings on them. And also, let me know what’s your number one backlist priority for 2019!
Come hang out with me:
Come hang out with me: