So many good books are coming our way.
2019 is really going to be a blessed year for new releases and I am so excited for it! All of these new releases being announced and all of you shouting at me about them has made my list of books to look out for extensive, and I love it and I hate it. So I thought I’d let you know about some exciting new releases coming our way in the next few months! These will mostly be YA, because I feel like I never see hype for Adult releases as I do for YA, unless they are really big name releases. But there are some great Adult books on here and some Non Fiction too! So let’s get into it!
- Black Leopard, Red Wolf by Marlon James – I am so excited for this one! A start to an epic Fantasy series, inspired by African history and mythology, by the Booker-winning author. This has already gotten so many great reviews and I cannot wait to get to it
- On the Come Up by Angie Thomas – I am pure excitement! The Hate U Give is one of my favorite books of all time so I am beyond excited to get to this one
- The Ruin of Kings by Jenn Lyon – A start to a new epic Fantasy series (which is always my fave) where a thief is claimed as the son of a prince and now has to navigate the court and its politics. And there’s also a line that says that he isn’t destined to save the world, he’s destined to destroy it! *cue excited flailing*
- Four Dead Queens by Astrid Scholte – A thief and an upstanding citizen team up after getting entangled in a conspiracy where all four queens get killed. Why are there four queens? Who knows! But I am excited to find out.
- When I Had a Little Sister by Catherine Simpson – This is Catherine’s memoir that recounts her life growing up in a farming family and also her struggle to understand her sister’s suicide. It will destroy me.
- Master of Sorrows by Justin Travis Call – More Fantasy! There’s an academy for warrior-thieves! There’s a boy hero who is also a malevolent force and a reincarnation of an evil god! THESE ARE ALL BUZZ WORDS.
- BLOODWITCH BY SUSAN DENNARD – You all already know how I feel.
- A Woman is No Man by Etaf Rum – This is written by an Arab-American woman that explores the lives of conservative Arab-American woman, told through a parallel narrative about a mother and her daughter. I THINK this is going to be brilliant and stunning.
- Look How Happy I Am Making You by Polly Rosenwaike – A short story collection all about women who are all in the age when they are expected to have children. Some of them want them, some of them don’t, some just had children and are coming to terms with the life changes. It sounds like exactly my kind of book.
- Gingerbread by Helen Oyeyemi – I heard only GREAT things about Oyeyemi’s books and this one follows a family through decades and has a hint of fabulism that I really enjoy.
- The Women’s War by Jenna Glass – It’s a feminist Fantasy! In which a spell gives women the ability to control their own fertility (is it sad that this is Fantasy? Yes.) which naturally upsets the patriarchal society they live in to the core.
- Descendant of the Crane by Joan He – Listen, this is a Chinese-inspired YA Fantasy with a gorgeous cover, what more do you need to know, really?
- Wicked Saints by Emily A. Duncan – This is a gothic Fantasy with three very different individuals teaming up to assassinate the king and stop the war. THE BLESSINGS of this book will be endless.
- The Devouring Gray by Christine Lynn Herman – The author promises trees, complex characters, dark rituals, cults and bad jokes in this book AND THAT’S ALL I EVER WANTED. All the TRC vibes.
- The Archive of Alternate Endings by Lindsey Drager – This is a short story collection that tracks the evolution of Hansel and Gretel at seventy-five-year intervals that correspond with earth’s visits by Halley’s Comet. It’s about sibling love and it’s weird. It’s said to be between eco-fiction and psychological horror and is also compared to Lars von Trier’s Melancholia. BONKERS.
- Finding Orion by John David Anderson – This is about a quirky family and a roadtrip that brings them together and it’s going to be PURE and adorable, okay?
- With the Fire on High by Elizabeth Acavedo – It’s about Emoni and she likes cooking I think? I DON’T KNOW OKAY I WANT IT BECAUSE OF THE AUTHOR AND THE COVER, LET ME BE
- Nocturna by Maya Motayne – More Fantasy!!! We follow a shapeshifter who hasn’t seen her own face in years and a prince who is overcome with grief team up to stop a dark form of magic, after they accidentally unleash it. It’s written by a Dominican author and inspired by her heritage. YAY!
- The Desert Sky Before Us by Anne Valente – Another sibling story. It’s about two estranged sisters, who embark on a road trip together to complete the scavenger hunt their mother designed for them before her death. This will probably also break me, like sister stories always do.
- The Wise and the Wicked by Rebecca Podos – It’s about a family of women who all have premonitions of their own deaths. Until one death doesn’t match the vision and EVERYTHING BECOMES QUESTIONABLE. This book will be amazing.
Is there more? Probably. But this is the catalog I have now. I am seriously overwhelmed and I am also seriously excited. We are blessed but our wallets are not!
Let me know if you have any upcoming releases that you are excited about and that you want to scream into the void about (I am said void). I need more books to spend money I don’t have on!
Come hang out with me: